[Blindmath] [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: [research] website accessibility

Maureen Lewicki mlewicki at bcsd.neric.org
Tue Dec 7 16:38:35 UTC 2010

Apologies, for going off topic: I had not thought about it till I hit
send. Anyone with ideas for me, please contact me offline. Thanks,
Maureen

>>> Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson 12/07/10 11:03 AM >>>
m.facebook.com or www.gmail.com (after you have turned on the basic
html interface, you should only hve to do that once).

Cool thing about GMail is that student can realize how using different
html elements hotkeys can speed up navigation.
To go to inbox use alt-i (AccessKey, I know it is not a WCAG 2.0
recommendation though, but I find it durn useful sometimes).
To see first message, press "x" because it takes you to the first check
box.
To delete or archive multiple emails press x to get to the inbox, then
press space bar if you want to apply the operation to that message,
then go down to the next message by pressing x again and so on, then
press b to get to the buttons (delete, archive etc).
to activate that button press enter.
So to delete the first to message you only have to:
press x, space bar, x, spacebar, b, tab (to get to the next button, b
will work too) and enter, done.
To reply to a message, press enter on it and then e to get into the
edit field (and enter to go into forms mode, depending on your Jaws
settings, I turn my autoforms mode off every time).
Then type away, when you are done go out of forms mode and press b to
find the "send" button.
This is very quick and very effective.
Other useful pge elements are h for heading (or use the number keys at
the top of the keyboard to go to different level headings) and t or l
(for table or list).
For instance, if you go to www.nhl.com/scores and want to see the
scores in various hockey games, you press t and it takes you to the
table with the info for each game (warning, that site uses some very
annoying JavaScript component that can mess with Jaws and,
occaionslly, crash IE).

That's enough and I apologize, we should probably keep this discussion
off-list.
It is hard to stretch this discussion to mathematics so I won't post
again about this, you can contact me privately if you wish.
Thanks
-Birkir

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/mlewicki%40bcsd.neric.org

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/birkir.gunnarsson%40gmail.com