[Blindmath] I have installed R, now what do I do?

Faiz Rasool faiz7r at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:27:20 UTC 2010

Hi Roopakshi and list,

In  the university I study, their is no   tradition of teaching statistical
packages in statistics course for students who are not majoring in
statistics. Since I am a Sociology student, we are taught how to manually
calculate  formulae. For instance, in case of Chi-square, multiply CT by RT
and divide that by N, using a calculator and pen and paper. I have talked to
people at  the computer lab where SPSS is installed on few computers. The
lab is shared by  all the University students, and I have been told to wait
for a week before I can be allowed to test jaws 10 and spss 17 with java
accessibility bridge as Marry suggested.

 I am trying my hand at R, because if spss does not work R would be only
remaining option. My plea to list members would be that if they can help me
in getting started with R and with spss if and when it works Kindly help me.
This is for the first time that I am among a group of individuals who are
acquainted with mathematics. Previously I was totally reliant on sighted
help in matters of stats.

Thanks and best regards,
Faiz.
ps I am happy to receive email off list, if the thread I have started is
cluttering the list.