[Blindmath] Math problems displayed audio described

vincent vmartin at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 13 21:08:48 UTC 2010

Hello:
I have a blind mentee who is finishing up his undergraduate work next year.
He is one of those kids who was low-vision most of his life and who has
steadily lost more vision in college.  He reads Braille, but not at the
speed that he feels that works best for him on timed Math exams.  Using a
CCTV and cassettes, he made 2280 on the SAT and over 700 was on the Math
section of the exam and I would love for him to be able to do the same with
the GRE as well.  He ended up getting a full academic scholarship to a top
university and we want him to be able to go to a top notch graduate program
as well.

He is taking the GRE starting this fall and wants to use the voiced version.
I was one of only seven people in the country who took it that way as well.
Although ETS sends you a practice version, it only has one practice exam in
the same format to use.  I am going to be creating more problems for him to
solve over the next few weeks for practice, but would love to have some more
blind people try and solve them this way.  Do any of you feel like giving
some of my problems a try?  I know how I would explain things with
description, but I need to know if others can do so as well.  I figured that
if people on the blind math list can solve the problems or at least give me
pointers as to how to word them, then some good examples can be produced.
Hopefully this will lead to some more good practice for him to utilize for
the actual exam.

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
John Kenneth Galbraith