[Blindmath] Math ML and JFW

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Feb 17 08:57:25 UTC 2010

Hello,
Probably the main one you know of is using the mathplayer plugin for
internet explorer. This will make JFW speak the maths out. There are a
few limitations of mathplayer, it passes the maths as a string of words
so its not easy to navigate a equation (eg. the symbol alpha would be
written out as the word alpha, the divided by symbol would be the words
"divided by", etc) and screen readers won't produce Braille output for
the maths (well it will show the words spoken but not the correct maths
Braille code). These limitations would need work from screen readers to
be overcome, so if you would like better math support let them know its
important to you.

For Braille, you may do best downloading the page and using liblouisxml
to create a brf file. I seem to have a feeling that someone said
mathplayer may be able to put it through liblouisxml for you but I don't
remember seeing such an option myself.

Another option might be to import the mathml into an accessible maths
editor and read it in that.

I think that covers the main options. I think software actually making
use of mathml is one of the limitations of mathml, there are big gaps
particularly with accessibility (eg. firefox supports mathml but doesn't
provide accessible information to screen readers for the maths, etc).

Michael Whapples