[Blindmath] Linux

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Jan 3 00:52:27 UTC 2010

Yes linux is perfectly accessible and in my mind in certain ways
superior to windows, however there may be certain things you can't do
with it and windows may be the only option (eg. if you want to use the
IVEO for diagrams I think windows will be the only option).

One thing I strongly advise is get to understand the system, the
directory layout is different (it doesn't start on drive letters, you
mount (insert) your drives where you want in the file system), most
devices can be accessed as files, some notation is different (eg. the
path separator, normally \ (backslash) on windows is the / (stroke)
character on linux), etc. Generally a good way to find out these basic
things is by using it through the command line interface. Once you know
how to refer to things (eg. hard disks, redirect output and input, etc)
on linux then move on to trying the graphical interface. I suggest doing
that because so many come from windows expecting windows and the
graphical interface is sufficiently close to windows they don't
recognise the differences and the changes they need to make to their
working style and so pretty soon can find themselves in a mess without a
clue of how to get out of it. Also don't forget the internet is a wealth
of information and tutorials when it comes to Linux, the answer is
probably out there its a matter of finding it.

Now to what is available:
* Brltty, a system for controlling a Braille display. It also reads the
screen in the command line mode and orca the graphical screen reader can
use brltty for Braille output when you use the graphical desktop.
* Speakup, a command line screen reader only producing speech output.
Speakup slightly differs from other screen readers as it can be built
right into the Linux kernel (the part right at the heart of the
operating system) and rarely fails.
* Emacspeak, this is a bit of a must if you want to use LaTeX, its an
extremely powerful editor. To be accurate, emacs is the editor,
emacspeak is a add on for emacs which makes emacs speak. As emacspeak is
working so much closer to emacs and has access to some of the internal
information it means it can give very good detailed output, rather than
making a good guess. As a side note you may also want to look at the VI
editor, another powerful editor but it doesn't have any speech add on.
VI is preferred by some as it needs less key presses (I don't think its
uncommon for emacs to use multiple multi key presses to do one action).
* Orca, I chose to leave to last as I think may be should be learnt last
as it could be too tempting just to use the GUI and muddle your way
through for a bit. Well orca is a screen reader for the graphical
desktop environment (the GNOME desktop). Orca can produce speech,
Braille and magnification. Orca purely relies on the accessibility API
of the desktop system and any application which doesn't participate in
the supported accessibility API will be inaccessible (a good example is
skype, there is a Linux version but it is written the KDE desktop
graphical toolkit and so doesn't use the GNOME accessibility API).

As for other software which you may need for your course, there's lots
available, again may be name ones you know you will need and the Linux
equivalent can be named, there's just too much to list on its own here.

Michael Whapples