[Blindmath] A question about Microsoft Words equation editor

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Jan 7 11:33:59 UTC 2010

I think that's a question without a definite answer. A short response
would be how hard do you want it to be.

Here's a bit more information so you can make up your mind on how hard
it will be for you.

LaTeX is quite a different way of working to editors such as word, this
is because LaTeX you are writing in plain text with special commands to
tell it about most non-alphanumeric symbols and formatting (eg. \alpha
for the greek letter alpha and \frac{x}{y} for the fraction x over y).
As LaTeX can be written using any text editor you won't have menus to
help you find the command you want (well some specific LaTeX editors
may) so you will want a good resource which you can refer to when you
need help.

To learn the very basics (eg. enough to use mathtype in the LaTeX input
mode or for very simple documents where you leave most of the formatting
to the LaTeX software to make a reasonable choice) I would say this
isn't hard to learn. Should you want to go further and gain full control
of the layout of your document, create macros to save typing, etc, well
this does mean learning more and could be harder. Sometimes when trying
to achieve something very specific you may not have clear documentation
to explain it (this depends on how rare what you want to do is) and so
you may end up piecing scraps of information from here and there together.

Also there are a variety of packages you can get to extend the
functionality of LaTeX, obviously when using one of those you need to
learn the commands those introduce. As an example, there is a package
called beamer for producing presentations (an alternative to using
powerpoint), but if you aren't going to produce a presentation then you
don't need to learn about it.

I would certainly recommend learning some of the basics as some software
uses LaTeX for plain text representation of the maths (eg. mathtype with
LaTeX input mode, wikipedia puts the LaTeX source for equations as the
alt-tag of the image, etc). If learning more would be worth it for you,
it really depends on how much maths you will be doing in the future and
if the way of working suits (it can be hard at first because you're used
to word, but give it time it may grow on you).

Michael Whapples