[Blindmath] A question about Microsoft Words equation editor

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Thu Jan 7 17:48:43 UTC 2010

To clarify a bit, using LaTeX with MathType/Word only requires learning how
to use LaTeX's equation syntax, which is much less to learn than learning
all of LaTeX especially if you are not doing fancy things.  The basics, to
get you started are:
"\" is used to begin a command
use {} to group items/characters -- LaTeX knows nothing about numbers, etc
use $expression$, $$expression$$ to start/end inline and display
expressions, respectively

fractions:  \frac{numerator}{denonminator}
sqrt roots:  \sqrt{root}
superscripts:  base^{superscript}   [if 'superscript' is a single char, {}s
are not needed, but can be used]
subscripts:  base_{subscript} [if 'subscript' is a single char, {}s are not
needed, but can be used]
greek letters:  \alpha, \beta, ...  [use a capital first letter for the cap
versions as in \Sigma]
other things:  \sin, \cos, \int (integral), \sum (summation), etc.

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula for a complete list of the
TeX syntax accepted by MathType (this is *not* all of TeX/LaTeX!).

There is much, much more to learning all of TeX or LaTeX (which is very
powerful and is actually a programming language).  But for most people using
LaTeX for math, the above list is most of what you need to know.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~