[Blindmath] Questions from a struggling student.

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jan 28 19:04:12 UTC 2010

Hi Faiz,

R is capable of doing what you have asked. A common problem with R
(and any software that is command driven) is knowing what the commands are.

I had to look for the factor analysis command myself using the
help  pages but it is there. The command is factanal.

The other analyses you mention are basic and easily found.

More specific questions about functions and use of R should be
directed to me off list.

Jonathan

At 05:16 a.m. 29/01/2010, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>My name is Faiz. I am a student of Sociology, studying in University
>of Karachi, karachi, Pakistan. I have joined the list today.
>
>I am having serious problems in finding a way of statistically
>analyzing quantitative data that is typically collected in social
>research. In my University SPSS is used. From what I know, SPss is
>not jaws friendly. The other possible option is R statistical
>package, but no one use it here, and I am unaware of its
>accessibility as well.
>
>Instead of telling everyone about the frustrating situation I am
>facing, I am going to ask two questions. if anyone can answer them,
>I will be grateful.
>
>One what statistical package I can use with Jaws. the type of
>analysis I need to do include the common statistical tests like
>chi-square, correlation, regression, and perhaps factor analysis.
>
>Two Considering that R  is a free statistical package, I would be
>interested to know that does it have the capabilities to perform the
>tasks mentioned above.
>
>In sum, I need, and want to learn to perform statistical analysis
>mentioned above using a statistical package. However what program
>should I use and what program is accessible with jaws are two
>questions answers to which I do not have.
>
>Thanks all for reading.
>Faiz.
>for Blindmath:
>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/a.j.godfrey%40massey.ac.nz

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North

Room: AH2.82
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Home Address: 22 Bond St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (Just think FLEABAG)