[Blindmath] Nemeth code algebra, ttrig and calculus books for loan?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Jul 18 14:20:11 UTC 2010

Peter,

I won't say anything more on this after this note.  I truly do feel for your financial problems, but the fact is that most blind
people going to college, even without major debt, could not affort to pay to get braille or even audio books on their own.
Some states tend to be tighter than others, and I can't say how tight your state is.  However, part of the federal laws are
intended to allow state agencies to help with book costs, and the college you attend also has some responsibilities.  I
was not saying you need a private transcriber, but rather, I was referring to the fact that there are organizations that do
transcribing to assist with textbooks.  There is such an agency in Minnesota, for example, but they charge for out-of-
state borrowing, and they give priority to persons in-state for transcribing new books.  You didn't say if you have
contacted your college yet, but you will have to make some contacts to find out what is available already transcribed
and also if you have any options to get something transcribed.  Your VR counselor may not be of much help, but
sometimes you have to "play the game" to get whatever help is available, but that option won't work until you know
what the college is able to do.  I know RFBD has produced some books primarily with audio but with braille
supplements, and that might be worth investigating.  Some publishers will provide electronic copies of their books, but it
can be problematic with math.  I believe it is the American Printing House for the Blind that maintains the database of all
books that have been transcribed by organizations around the country.  NLS does very little of this kind of work.  I just
don't know what else to say, but I fear if you don't look at some of these other issues very soon, you won't have any
texts in nemeth and the practice will be of little value.  I truly hope things work out for you, and maybe there are people
on this list who live nearer to you who can make more specific suggestions than I am able to make.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson