[Blindmath] Nemeth code algebra, ttrig and calculus books for loan?

Peter Wolfe sunspot005 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:48:14 CDT 2010


Thanks Lisa for the information you shared with me. This leads
ultimately to something else I'm personally struggling with. What are
some affective strategies in taking notes and studying audio materials
as opposed to electronic or braille forms of learning? In fact, I
would like all study habits examined on here to be shared. This is for
the sake out of solidarity with some methods and equipment and unique
approaches adopted by some and forgotten by others. Thanks for all
input in this matter.


sincerely,
Peter

On 7/20/10, Lisa Bongiorno <Lisa.Bongiorno at dhs.state.nj.us> wrote:
> There are several websites where you can access audio books for free.
> You do need to search.  Try also your library.  I'm from NJ and I was
> directed to the website: www.listennj.com  Excellent website.  All you
> need is a library card.  You go to the website, pull down the menu and
> click on to your library and enter your library number.  From there you
> have full access to audio books and can download them to your IPod, MP3
> or burn them onto discs for free! Also try RFB&D. They have a grant that
> allows for first time members, free first year membership. You can
> either order CDs or download textbooks on an Ipod, Kindle, whatever
> piece of equipment you are using.  Good luck.
>
> 			
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org]
> On Behalf Of Peter Wolfe
> Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 3:46 PM
> To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
> Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Nemeth code algebra,ttrig and calculus books
> for loan?
>
> Thanks Steve for the help cause it really feels sincere. I really
> appreciate the effort and time you put into sending the replied
> e-mail. I'm working on this stuff as I speak. I will read through my
> e-mail and hopefuloly I don't go to sleep to call people or e-mail.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Peter, AS
>
> On 7/18/10, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson at visi.com> wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I won't say anything more on this after this note.  I truly do feel
> for your
>> financial problems, but the fact is that most blind
>> people going to college, even without major debt, could not affort to
> pay to
>> get braille or even audio books on their own.
>> Some states tend to be tighter than others, and I can't say how tight
> your
>> state is.  However, part of the federal laws are
>> intended to allow state agencies to help with book costs, and the
> college
>> you attend also has some responsibilities.  I
>> was not saying you need a private transcriber, but rather, I was
> referring
>> to the fact that there are organizations that do
>> transcribing to assist with textbooks.  There is such an agency in
>> Minnesota, for example, but they charge for out-of-
>> state borrowing, and they give priority to persons in-state for
> transcribing
>> new books.  You didn't say if you have
>> contacted your college yet, but you will have to make some contacts to
> find
>> out what is available already transcribed
>> and also if you have any options to get something transcribed.  Your
> VR
>> counselor may not be of much help, but
>> sometimes you have to "play the game" to get whatever help is
> available, but
>> that option won't work until you know
>> what the college is able to do.  I know RFBD has produced some books
>> primarily with audio but with braille
>> supplements, and that might be worth investigating.  Some publishers
> will
>> provide electronic copies of their books, but it
>> can be problematic with math.  I believe it is the American Printing
> House
>> for the Blind that maintains the database of all
>> books that have been transcribed by organizations around the country.
> NLS
>> does very little of this kind of work.  I just
>> don't know what else to say, but I fear if you don't look at some of
> these
>> other issues very soon, you won't have any
>> texts in nemeth and the practice will be of little value.  I truly
> hope
>> things work out for you, and maybe there are people
>> on this list who live nearer to you who can make more specific
> suggestions
>> than I am able to make.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Steve Jacobson
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:51:37 -0500, Peter Wolfe wrote:
>>
>>>Steve,
>>
>>
>>
>>>    I'm trying to see how the nemeth code will look like for
>>>orientation purposes and for the pracctice in my rusty abilities in
>>>math. I haven't done serious math in almost three years. I have a VR
>>>counsuler and they are mainly only good in most cases with financial
>>>support. With the down turn in the economy and my personal financial
>>>restraints the other option would also be thrown out too. Looking at
>>>someone transcribing for me is probably way way too expensive for the
>>>normal blind college student. I also have a house with other debt
>>>credit card issues and an apartment with utilities including a
>>>dependent  brother as well. So, needless to say financial restraints
>>>are a huge problem.
>>
>>>On 7/17/10, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson at visi.com> wrote:
>>>> Peter,
>>>>
>>>> What kind of books are you requesting?  Are you looking for books to
>>>> learn
>>>> the Nemeth Code or to see how it is used?
>>>> Have you made contact with the college you will be attending to see
> if
>>>> they
>>>> can help you find out what books you will
>>>> be needing?  There are databases around that can be searched to see
> if a
>>>> given book has been brailled by anyone.
>>>> Do you have a Vocational Rehabilitation case open with your state
> agency?
>>>> Part of what they might be able to do is to
>>>> help with purchasing braille copies of the books you will need if
> they
>>>> are
>>>> available.  They probably would not buy books
>>>> for practice, though.  There are some places that will transcribe
> books
>>>> for
>>>> you, but they need lead time and I don't know
>>>> who serves your state.
>>>>
>>>> Best regards,
>>>>
>>>> Steve Jacobson
>>>>
>>>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:56:10 -0600, Peter Wolfe wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Blind Math list,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>    It's me Peter with about a month to go, I am trying to find a
>>>>>place to have nemeth code braille math books for loan from? I tried
>>>>>NLS and they have utterly blasted me out of the water via the
>>>>>telephone. I don't have the kind of money to purchase that sort of
>>>>>mammoth priced math information either. Most blind people don't have
>>>>>it either. I'd appreciate any help in this regard. By the way, when
>>>>>you guys finished your first calculus book, did you keep your notes
>>>>>and books for the next calculus? Thanks for any hints and tips like
>>>>>always.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>God bless,
>>>>>Peter, AS
>>>>
>>>>>--
>>>>>Peter Q. Wolfe, AS
>>>>>sunspot005 at gmail.com
>>>>
>>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>>Blindmath mailing list
>>>>>Blindmath at nfbnet.org
>>>>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
>>>>>To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info
> for
>>>>> Blindmath:
>>>>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/steve.jac
> obson%40visi.com
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Blindmath mailing list
>>>> Blindmath at nfbnet.org
>>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
>>>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info
> for
>>>> Blindmath:
>>>>
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/sunspot005%40
> gmail.com
>>>>
>>
>>
>>>--
>>>Peter Q. Wolfe, AS
>>>sunspot005 at gmail.com
>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>Blindmath mailing list
>>>Blindmath at nfbnet.org
>>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
>>>To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>>> Blindmath:
>>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/steve.jacob
> son%40visi.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Blindmath mailing list
>> Blindmath at nfbnet.org
>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>> Blindmath:
>>
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/sunspot005%40
> gmail.com
>>
>
>
> --
> Peter Q. Wolfe, AS
> sunspot005 at gmail.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Blindmath mailing list
> Blindmath at nfbnet.org
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> Blindmath:
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/lisa.bongiorn
> o%40dhs.state.nj.us
>
>
> This E-mail, including any attachments, may be intended solely for the
> personal
> and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named above. This
> message
> may include advisory, consultative and/or deliberative material and, as
> such,
> would be privileged and confidential and not a public document. Any
> Information
> in this e-mail identifying a client of the Department of Human Services
> (DHS) is
> confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not
> review,
> transmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any
> attachments to it and you must delete this message. You are requested to
> notify the sender by return e-mail.
>
>
> This E-mail, including any attachments,  may be intended solely for the
> personal  and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named above.
> This message  may include advisory, consultative and/or deliberative
> material and, as such,  would be privileged and confidential and  not a
> public document. Any Information  in this e-mail identifying a client of the
> Department of Human Services or the Department of Children and Families is
> confidential.  If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not
> review, transmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail
> or any attachments to it and you must delete this message. You are requested
> to notify the sender by return e-mail.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Blindmath mailing list
> Blindmath at nfbnet.org
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindmath_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> Blindmath:
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/sunspot005%40gmail.com
>


-- 
Peter Q. Wolfe, AS
sunspot005 at gmail.com




More information about the Blindmath mailing list