[Blindmath] Questions about accommodations

Susan Mooney slemooney at msn.com
Thu Jun 3 12:56:19 UTC 2010

I still disagree.  My daughter is in graduate school and is sighted and chooses not to drive.  There are times when she cannot get her laundry done, run errands, and get her apartment clean, and even eat decent meals because she has so much studying to do. The university doesn't pay for her to get an assistant to do those things!  If she wants to hire a cleaning lady or errand-runner on her own, that's entirely different.  The same after graduation.  There will be times when your work life and/or family life is so stressed and demanding that you don't have time to clean, run errands and cook.  You deal.  Don't have time to cook? There's take-out or frozen meals! That's life.  And besides, the post I was referring to included bathing.  If you've got a blind student who is able-bodied and in graduate school (or beyond kindergarten for that matter) and s/he can't bathe independently, there's going to be a small problem when that student tries to find a job.  As a (retired) teacher of the visually impaired, I shudder to think that there's a blind university student who cannot take a bath on his/her own.

And I also agree that admitting a student based upon whether the school is going to make accommodations smacks of non-compliance.  I hope that's not what the original post is implying.

SM