[Blindmath] Blindmath Digest, Vol 51, Issue 5

cnsbaker at access.k12.wv.us cnsbaker at access.k12.wv.us
Mon Oct 11 12:29:07 UTC 2010

The student I work with is having difficulty getting their books for their college algebra course they are taking in high school. We knew there was going to be a textbook change (and knowing there wasn't a braille version of the previous edition either) when they signed up for this course. We got the ISBN number from the publisher and ordered the book 1 1/2 years ago.

We began receiving volumes 4 months after we replaced the order and was excited that we might actually have the testbook for the course. For whatever reason the transcribers stopped working on it. Then almost a year later, when the student began taking the course we began making calls and begging for the other volumes, which have never been finished. We have gotten enough volumes through the end of chapter 4 (this course covers 12 chapters). We have enough to get us through this week actually.

The course is over in Dec and their college tri class begins in Jan. Of course if they cannot complete this course they cannot be enrolled in the class for next semester. By the time we get the entire set, I will have done the majority of the transcription on the textbook just so the student can keep up in class.

I agree this is totally sickening and it is sad to say but has been the pattern throughout this students entire education, and I know it is the pattern for everyone in the area of education.

Constanza S. Baker