[Blindmath] Question on MathML accessibility with Kurzweil 3000

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Wed Sep 8 03:56:22 UTC 2010

I believe that the problem is that you need to use IE, not Firefox when
reading math.  From
http://www.kurzweiledu.com/files/v12/Kurzweil%203000%20Reference%20Guide.pdf

Reading Web Pages
The Read the Web feature lets you read Web sites using Kurzweil 3000 and one
of two browsers:
Internet Explorer (7 or 8), or Mozilla Firefox. While reading the Web, you
have access to Kurzweil
3000 reading and reference tools. If you want to use Mozilla Firefox, see
online Help or the Installation
and Administration Guide for installation instructions
Kurzweil 3000 includes Design Science MathPlayer™ to support Mathematical
Mark Up Language
(MathML). When using Read the Web in Internet Explorer you can read
Mathematical notation.
To read Web site content:
1. Click the Read the Web button in the Main toolbar, or from the Read menu,
select
Read the Web.
The Web browser opens and connects to your home page. In Internet Explorer,
the Kurzweil
3000 Read the Web toolbar appears at the bottom of the browser. In Firefox,
the Read the
Web toolbar appears below the browser toolbars.
2. Click the Read button to begin reading.
3. Look up a word by selecting it, then clicking the desired Look Up button
in the toolbar.
Change Reading Mode, Read By Unit, and WPM Reading Speed.
Magnify the current word by clicking the button. (Internet Explorer only.)
To read Math and Science notation in Internet Explorer:
Be sure you have Read the Web enabled and you are using Internet Explorer.
Left-click the notation. Kurzweil 3000 reads the notation. At any time, you
can click again to reread
it or click elsewhere to stop reading it.
A Right Mouse Button menu is also available and includes Zoom and Copy.

Note:  we hope to expand MathPlayer to work with Firefox sometime
soon(ish).  I'm sure that once we get that working, K3000 will soon follow
suite and allow you to use Firefox.  Until then, you'll need to use IE.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~