[Blindmath] SPSS accessibility file

Faiz Rasool faiz7r at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:48:52 UTC 2010

Hi Phil,

I came across the same problem you   are having. I downloaded a demo version
of spss 18 and didn't had the accessibility.properties file. I contacted
SPSs support and they were happy to provide the accessibility.properties
file.

Copying this file only works when you have java accessibility bridge
installed. Assuming that you have    installed java accessibility bridge and
copied accessibility.properties file into appropriate folder, SPSS should
work fine with jaws. You can access all the menus and  read dialogue boxes.
You cannot  however  read the SPSs output window. The solution is to export
it into any format of choice. The available options are rtf, txt, pdf, and
so on.

Currently I'm using SPSS 18, and have not came across any major
accessibility issue so far. The menus are read  properly by Jaws. I'm using
Jaws 11.

Trying to use any previous versions of spss is not likely to help. As I can
attest, recent version 18  does work if you follow the steps outlined in
SPSS help of how to use it with screen readers.

I'll suggest you to contact spss support through their website. They'll be
happy to provide you the accessibility.properties file.  You can copy it and
use the program.

I hope this helps you.

Best,
Faiz.