[Blindmath] Mathematics Textbook Accessibility

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 13:09:10 UTC 2010

Tina

Have you talked with your local resource office about the math courses
and what they have available for you?
A good low tech solution for graphs, if someone is willing to sit down
with you and explain them, is just a board with nails that form a
rectangle and then you can use rubber bands to create the graphs
themselves.
There is also thin plastic sheets on rubber mats you can draw raised
lines on with a pen.
Mind you, the sighted world relies way too much on graphs these days
and the learning approach does not have to be nearly as graphical as
they make it out to be, so you may be just fine without half the
graphs the other sighted students think they need.
For a more hi tech solution there is the ViewPlus Iveo, the resource
office might have a copy of that. Those are interactive graphs (you
place an embossed graph on top of a scanner like machine and when you
touch certain points you get audio feedback about them).

Do you know Nemeth braille? If so, may be the National Braille Press can help.
For math ml encoded math there is the MathPlayer, it is audio feedback
only at this time but it works with Internet Explorer and math
Equations saved with MathType e.g. in Word, so it is easy to create
math this way. The math ml can also be embossed to Nemeth using
Duxbury DBT translator.
I survived creating my own linear math code and RFB&D tapes and some
readers for my math courses (I took a lot of them) but it was a lot of
work and not particularly elegant.
There's not perfect solution, but these will be good enough for you
*smile*. Other people will contribute other ideas too I am sure.
Incidentally, what do you feel wuld be a fair price for a student to
buy accessibility software (in the perfect world, 0, of course, but if
you were presented with math software that made math in speech or
braille accessible, what would you  feel is the maximum you would pay
for it)?
I am merely curious, not implying anything about what it should be.
We have a funny situation in that the market is absolutely tiny
because so many blind and VI students avoid math, but they avoid math,
at least in part, because there's not enough software available to
make math accessible.
HOpefully this will change in the near future.
-Birkir