[Blindmath] mathplayer, jaws, and math in graphics?

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:20:21 UTC 2011

Hi

MathPlayer can only render MathML (not LaTeX) at this time, and only
into speech (not into braille). It will show refreshable braille on
the screen, but it will be the text string that it speaks, such as
"Ay squared minus 3 x."

A LaTeX source will not help in this regard, and MathML is not very
suitable for alt text.
I believe there are Jaws scripts being developed that turn LaTeX
source code into spoken math (Jose knows more on this and I can dig up
all the info and send it to you off-list).
That would probably be your best bet.
The other option would be to encourage the page designers to use
MathML to create the images, and you can use MathPlayer to play them.
They can check out MathJax (http://www.mathjax.org) for a way to
create good looking math based on MathML that works in every browser
that support Javascript.
None of the MathML solutions will get you Nemeth code, however, a Word
document with the math in it can be translated to Nemeth and embossed
via Duxbury DBT 11.1 or ViewPlus TSS.
hth
-Birkir