[Blindmath] mathplayer, jaws, and math in graphics?

PR Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 3 20:41:45 UTC 2011

The good doctor here has obviously imbibed the myth of the one-eyed
man in the country of the blind. For the second time
he's  patronising us with his bilge about LaTeX being too complicated
to learn and that we like good blind people ought to listen to our
betters and buy the MathML con wholesale.

"...I have a few documents I can post samples from which will > soon
disabuse you of that notion."

Once again, he's trying to frighten people off LaTeX in his usual
condescending and thuggish manner. Just who the devil does he think
he is to tell us what is complicated or not?
"For each example that you can decode, I can provide another even
more complicated example (and one that I've actually used in an article)."

If he is so concerned about accessibility and he believes that
complicated LaTeX isn't easily decipherable by us blind folks, then
why would he deliberately go out of his way to use obfuscated code in
his articles? In any case, what makes him think that a blind person
couldn't learn to hack complicated LaTeX?

"If I came across a web site that presented its mathematics as raw
LaTeX code then I would not use that web site.  I would consider it
second rate, and not a serious mathematical web site.  If I think
like that, why should you think otherwise?"

Because most of us are interested in information and the "raw latex"
on wikipedia and wikibook serve that purpose perfectly well.  I would
much rather read raw latex (which is very expressive and terse at the
same time) than fiddle about with some buggy software that is
designed on the premise that blind folks are too stupid to use a
mainstream typesetting tool used by literally millions around the
world, including academics and publishers from all nationalities.

"... you should protest loudly and explain that raw LaTeX is not an
accessible way to present mathematics."

Well, I would like to protest loudly at the way he throws his weight
about on this list for some dubious agenda which has nothing
whatsoever to do with helping blind people.

Paul
`