[Blindmath] mathplayer, jaws, and math in graphics?

PR Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 4 00:02:36 UTC 2011

" The point is that LaTex is not the format that you really wan't
to  recieve math in"

As it happens I do prefer LaTeX source to all other formats. it works
for me and many other blind people, some of whom are on this list.

"LaTex is an _type_setting_language_ not a language for communicating math, "

I'm sorry but that's a totally vacuous statement. Who cares what it
was intended for. What I'm concerned with is that it serves the
purpose of communicating maths and sciences very effectively.

"The point is that it would be hard to read, and that's true there is
complicated LaTex out there, and it is hard to get the content out of,
its do able but its not trivial, and a waste of your time."

I disagree. Most LaTeX source out there is fairly manageable.  I have
seldom had any problems making effective use of LaTeX documents. As a
matter of fact, I find the formatting elements very helpful and
instructive for typesetting my own documents. I always pick up tips
and hints for layout formatting by studying other people's LaTeX source.

I don't know what screen reader you use, but both window eyes and jfw
allow you to go through the alt text character by character.

"You will not that most people make available for reading the pdf they
produce from LaTex source not the source itself.  So you can see that"

That's totally untrue. The people I deal with in fact prefer reading
the LaTeX source as they're able to make the necessary alterations.

Paul