[Blindmath] Introducing myself

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Apr 13 22:18:41 UTC 2011

Hello,
Firstly welcome to the list, I hope you find some useful information
from being on this list. I would imagine you may have some more specific
questions over time, however it may be worth just giving a little more
background (eg. what do you already know about making maths accessible
on the web, might you want to evaluate whether a resource is accessible
before recommending it to a student, etc).

Here are some brief notes on various document formats:
* PDF: Generally poor for accessibility, for math content extremely poor
to inaccessible. I have had occasions actually where PDF has been
useful. The first is that PDF does still maintain the printed layout,
therefore when a reference is given to a page in a document I can find
it easily (it actually has been a problem when I was using a book on
safaribooks for an OU course and a TMA gave a reference to a page but
not the chapter in the book). The second case where PDF has been useful,
is when I desire to know the layout of the text (I use linux and so have
used pdftotext with the -layout option, however this only works for
text). These benefits are of little advantage if the other options are
used properly (eg. if giving a reference ensure that it can be located
without access to page numbers, like the case is with HTML, give chapter
and section/subsection numbers).
* HTML with images for math but alt-tags set to the LaTeX source: The
big advantage of this is that it doesn't rely on any specific package,
about any web browser will allow access to the math. The big
disadvantage is that the reader needs to know enough LaTeX to read this
and also it is possibly not the most optimal way of reading maths (IE.
there is mark up which may not be natural to the reader, there is no
structural navigation of an equation). Also the image of the equation
will not follow the visual settings the user has set on the computer
(eg. colours and font size).
* Documents containing MathML: I feel this may have the greatest
potential, however the biggest disadvantage is that it makes the user
much more heavily dependent on tools to access the content. What I mean
by this is that on Mac and Linux, there is no screen reader which works
with a browser to make mathml accessible. Also on windows, as I
understand it, while mathplayer makes it accessible with a screen
reader, there is still a lack of any sophisticated navigation of the
equation.

Michael Whapples