[Blindmath] graphics: need help

Maureen Lewicki mlewicki at bcsd.neric.org
Fri Apr 15 13:00:51 UTC 2011

Good day! I am a teacher of the visually impaired, with a fourth grade braille student. We have been doing introductory geometry, such as labeling isoseles triangles, right triangles, polygons, etc.

The graphics are being produced by computer, by an aide who is really adept with computers, and if she doesn't know how to do something, she'll figure it out.

She has produced some impressive geometry graphics! We have also had to 'tweak' quite a bit, such as with, for example a graphic of a ray. The student could not, understandably, detect the arrow at the end if it was the same thickness as the line, so the transcriber draws the line, then at the end, a very thin line with an arrow.

Finally, to the question: Some of the graphics remain difficult for the child. During a recent test, I ended up constructing the diagrams on the Graphic Aid for Mathematics and the draftsman tactile drawing board by APH,(my preferred) which were more understandable to her. Can anyone suggest ways to produce really crisp, clear figures? We will soon be measuring circles, and angle within the circles, etc, so I want to try to produce the best for the child, without frustrating the transcriber. Thank you!M