[Blindmath] Some examples of mathematics speech text

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Fri Apr 15 21:03:02 UTC 2011

Using prosody has been shown to be quite useful.  MathPlayer has used
it for years and can generate SAPI 4,5 and SSML prosody tags.  Here's
the rub:  while some AT software makes use of this, the leading screen
readers do not and MathPlayer is forced to do its best by adding
commas and periods to introduce pauses.  If you self voice, then you
won't have a seamless reading experience unless you take over reading
the text as well... and then you are doing what a screen reader does.
Firevox took this later approach (sadly, Firevox seems like a dead
project).

There's a second rub: even when a voice claims support for SAPI or
SSML, quite often they only support some prosody features and are just
broken on others.  You test your system on one or two voices and it
seems good, and then try and third and there are big problems.  There
is a ScanSoft voice that that I know of that moves pauses around that
are embedded in the speech stream and simply refuses to speak anything
if there are two adjacent pauses.  That's maybe more extreme than
normal, but that's what the real world is like and limits what you can
do.  Eg, if you try your system on a voice that supports sounds, what
will it sound like to people who use voices that don't support sounds?
 Donal Fitzpatrick's work is interesting, but getting it to work
seamlessly with screen readers is problematic, at least at the
present.  SSML supports audio, but not SAPI.  The vendors that I have
spoken to only use SAPI voices.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~