[Blindmath] Speech text for powers and superscripts

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Mon Apr 18 16:06:06 UTC 2011

Some ideas that have been used:

ASTER and others:  change the pitch (up for superscripts, down for
subscripts) or some other recognizable quality of the voice

Nemeth:  announce the level of the script  (eg, x "super i + j").  You
say the level of the script whenever there is a change in level so
that if something follows it, you say that ("baseline" for neutral).
For example "x super i plus j baseline plus y" or for nested scripts
"x super i super super j super plus 1 baseline plus 2" for x^ { i^j+1}
}+ 2.

Various sounds and musical notes have been tried (eg, a rising sound
and a falling sound).

At least in the US, "quantity" is often used as as grouping word,
perhaps followed by a very long pause at the end of the quantity or by
the words "end quantity".  However, I've found that the words chosen
for grouping is perhaps the most controversial set of words you can
use and no one solution that I've tried has made everyone (or anywhere
near everyone) happy.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~