[Blindmath] Teacher with Vision Loss Teaching Sighted Undergrads

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 9 19:25:37 UTC 2011

Christine,

I would encourage you to do two things.  First, spend some time talking
about yourself and how you deal with your vision loss, etc. Your students
are very unlikely to have ever had a chance to interact with a blind person
before and I think that the quicker they feel comfortable with you, the
quicker they will forget about your vision loss and be able to focus on the
subject matter.

Second, ask your students for advice and ideas on how to handle the issues
you asked about. Many, many years ago, when I was teaching AP high school
chemistry, I divided the students into several small groups and each group
had to choose a lab experiment from suggested resource material, perform it,
and then write out the directions so each of the other groups could perform
that same experiment.  (They, of course, provided me in advance with a list
of the needed supplies.)  I at first felt a bit guilty making the students
do something I thought perhaps I should have done but it turned out to be
one of my most successful teaching experiences.  The students loved it and
it really brought out their creativity.

HTH,
SusanJ