[Blindmath] Teaching Undergraduates with Vision loss

Gerald Sacks geraldsacks at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 9 20:40:54 UTC 2011

Two years ago, I had the pleasure of having a long talk with Abe
Nemeth, who taught math at the University of Detroit for many years.
He told me that he had an graduate assistant to do grading (as do
most sighted instructors). Regarding attendance, he assigned seats
and learned his students' voices so well that when one who was
cutting class arranged for his pal to stand in for him, he was caught
redhanded. This was in the days before PowerPoint, but Dr. Nemeth was
able to write on the blackboard despite his congenital total blindness.