[Blindmath] Need help embossing graphics

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Aug 10 06:17:04 UTC 2011

While reading Pranav's excellent article at
http://www.access2science.com/graphics/analysing_SVG.html, it occurred to me
that some of you may need an editor to work through his examples. Of course,
you could use something as simple as Windows Notepad. However, if you would
like to step up a few notches, you might want to try the free XML Copy
Editor at

http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

I don't know how well it scores in terms of accessibility, but the interface
looks pretty clean to me, so you might find it very accessible.

In the beginning, you could use it as a simple text editor that is capable
of handling multiple documents concurrently, each in its own tab.

Once you have mastered that, you might want to branch out and begin
exploring the specific XML capabilities that it provides such as finding and
highlighting various kinds of XML errors.

The one concern that I do have is that when an error is discovered, a panel
opens up at the bottom of the window with information about the error. I
don't know how you would navigate to that information with a screen reader
(because I don't know how to use a screen reader). However, I will give you
a sample SVG document that will produce an error that you can try.

Copy the following SVG code and paste it into a new XML document in the XML
Copy Editor.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"[]>
<svg width="990" height="765" version="1.1" xmlns="
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
<line x1="100" y1="100" x2="900" y2="700" stroke="black"/>
</svg>

Then pull down the File menu and select Save As. Go through the normal
process of specifying a folder and file name. Give the file name an
extension of .svg.

If your system behaves the way that mine behaves, the following error should
appear in a panel at the bottom of the editor window:

Cannot save document in utf-8: Error at line 0: Attempt to load network
entity http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd (saved in default
encoding UTF-8)

A file is actually saved but it will have a strange name and an extension of
.tmp.

Make certain that you can navigate to the error message at the bottom of the
editor window.

Once you have read the error message, delete the following attribute and its
value from the first line of text and save again.

encoding="utf-8"

This time, the svg file should be saved with the specified name in the
specified folder and it should be ready for whatever processing you intend
to apply.

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/