[Blindmath] great question...Re: Economical tactile graphics - Microcapsule or Swell Paper in a microwave oven?

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Aug 10 16:06:06 UTC 2011

I just had another thought while communicating with another individual on
this topic.

My wife has a laminating machine that she uses to fuse documents between two
sheets of plastic with heat. I don't know how much she paid for it, but a
quick Google search shows laminating machines in the price range of $50 and
up. I'm guessing that the price increases with the size of the documents
that the machine can accommodate and perhaps the amount of control that the
user has over the fusing temperature.

I wonder if such a laminating machine could be used to toast the Swell Paper
at a price tag substantially less than $1500.

I would like to be able to produce medium quality tactile graphics in my
office at a cost that competes with the cost of a cheap ink-squirt printer
(exclusive of the cost of paper).

While the cost of Swell Paper will never compete with the cost of ordinary
printer paper, a huge increase in demand might bring the cost of Swell Paper
down to less than $1.00 per sheet.

Among its other advantages, the availability of convenient and low-cost
tactile graphics would open the door to the use of the IVEO Learning System
for tens of thousands of blind students who have no access to a Tiger
embossing machine. Lots of students and organizations that can't afford a
Tiger embossing machine could afford an IVEO touchpad to use with the free
IVEO Viewer software and a computer that they already own. (I have
successfully used the IVEO Viewer software with an old but small Wacom
digitizer pad with a USB interface and a stylus.)

While the quality of Swell Paper may not be close to the quality of the
Tiger output, the quality my be good enough to be used as a finger guide on
an IVEO touchpad. If so, the detailed information could be embedded in the
low-cost end of the process, which is to provide voice annotation in the SVG
file, instead of needing to embed it in the high-cost end of the process,
which is embossing the tactile graphic image.

I believe that once a large database of IVEO users is established, the folks
at ViewPlus could develop and sell an enhanced Viewer software package that
would contains many useful features that may not even have been thought of
yet, along with an enhanced IVEO Creator package to support those features.
That is one end of the scenario.

At the other end, an individual blind student who is willing to learn to
draw using SVG could create IVEO-compatible SVG files with little more than
a text editor and an idea.

It all hinges on making it possible for everyone involved to conveniently
and economically create tactile graphics. In my opinion, that is one key to
the future of STEM education for blind students.

End of sermon

Dick Baldwin