[Blindmath] Economical tactile graphics - Microcapsule or SwellPaper in a microwave oven?

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Aug 10 18:09:06 UTC 2011

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the response. See my comments and questions inline with rgb] at
the left end of the first line.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Debbie Willis <dwillis at aph.org> wrote:

> Richard, there are also non-techy ways of creating some quick, inexpensive
> tactile graphics. There's a really great TG-drawing tool called the
> DRAFTSMAN Tactile Drawing Board. It is a versatile tactile drawing board
> that is used in combination with special film and a stylus to create instant
> raised-line images.  The DRAFTSMAN can be used for producing simple
> raised-line graphics, demonstrating math concepts and tasks, demonstrating
> science concepts, playing games, and much more. To read about this tool,
> visit www.aph.org and look through the current Instructional Products
> Catalog. This product is $177 and additional packets of the film (25 sheets)
> is $6.

rgb] I saw a demonstration of this product when I visited Sue Mattson at
TSBVI in Austin. As I recall, this requires the drawings to be completely
freehand. I believe that I placed a printed graph under the film and tried
to trace over it and it didn't work with the paper between the film and the
backboard. However, I don't believe that I tried placing the printed graph
on top of the film and tracing over it to see if that would work. Do you
know if that would work. The price of the film seems reasonable. If so, this
would be an easy and economical way to print simple graphics and then turn
them into tactile graphics.

> There is also the Swail Dot Inverter that can be used to construct simple
> diagrams, graphs, maps, and more by embossing a series of single dots.
>  Braille paper (sold separately) is placed on top of the 12"X12" rubber pad.
>  The special stylus allows dots to be embossed upwards by puncturing the
> paper on the down stroke and then pulling the dot upwards on the up stroke.
>  It works best with Brailon plastic braille paper that is available from
> American Thermoform (www.americanthermoform.com).  This product is $43.

rgb] I was unaware of that product. I will follow up on it. Do you know if
you can print the graphic on the plastic braille paper to serve as a an
embossing guide. I'm pretty sure that I could run normal Braille printer
paper through my cheap Cannon ink-squirt printer one sheet at a time. This
also looks like a cheap and easy way to emboss simple graphics. I wonder how
the effort to emboss a simple graph compares with using a tracing wheel on
the back of the paper.

> There is also Quick-Draw Paper that can be used to create instant tactile
> graphics that are useful for a wide variety of art, orientation and
> mobility, diagramming, and educational activities.  You simply draw on the
> paper surface with a water-based marker and the lines will swell instantly
> and become tactile.  This set of materials includes 10 sheets of 8 12"X11"
> Quick-Draw Paper, instructions in large print, and two water-based markers
> for $32.

rgb] I was also unaware of this product. Do you know if it can be run
through an ink-squirt printer? The ink may cause the swelling and gum up the
printer. If the ink doesn't cause the swelling and it can be run through the
printer, a sighted assistant could go over the lines with a water-based
marker to produce the desired swelling. It looks like the paper might be
fairly expensive though.

> Picture Maker: Wheatley Tactile Diagramming Kit is another useful product.
> This fun, colorful tactile board includes a felt covered board measuring 20
> 3/4"X13", and a wide variety of Velcro-backed pieces that attach to the
> board in an infinite number of patterns.  It features over 100 pieces in
> many shapes, sizes, textures, and colors.  Extra hook Velcro materials is
> provided for helping to create additional tactile pieces.  The large
> print/braille guidebook has suggestions and example layouts.  Picture Maker
> is $118.  There are additional Picture Maker packets available; one is
> "Textured Strips" and costs $79; another is "Storage Panel" which is $18.
>  There is also a set of Picture Maker Accessories: Geometric Textured Shapes
> for $50.

rgb] I also wasn't aware of this. I will take a look at it but I doubt that
it fits the need.

> All of the above products are pictured and discussed in the current
> Instructional Products Catalog available on the APH website at www.aph.org  I hope this information on other types of products available for creating
> quick tactile graphics is helpful.

rgb]  Thanks again,
Dick Baldwin