[Blindmath] Teacher with Vision Loss Teaching Sighted Undergrads

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:58:31 UTC 2011

Hi Ben,
  First, I believe Blackboard is actually just the specific brand as our
university uses a different form, though Blackboard is more well known. It
is simply a website that is used in educational settings in order to allow
for online classroom instruction, interaction, discussion, work, assignment
completing/submitting, grading... It is used by students and faculty alike
and is becoming commonplace at most universities and is also the way most
online educational programs work. Many professors use it to post their
PowerPoint slides, engage students in out-of-class discussion, give exams,
collect written class projects, post grades...

  The one our university uses is actually quite JAWS friendly. I have found
that I can pretty much do everything my classmates can do with it. Since I
have  been a TA for various faculty and since our lab uses it for
undergraduate education purposes, I have had to learn a lot of the teaching
side as well including setting  up the website for the professor... Both
sides are able to be done with JAWS which helps greatly and nearly if not
everything can be done without sighted assistance.

  To be clear, it is not something you would independently use or purchase
since it is mainly  for extending classroom learning to a more virtual
platform.
many thanks,
Christine