[Blindmath] Tactile Graphics Expertise

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 13 22:29:33 UTC 2011

Research into methods for producing tactile graphics has a very long
history. My father, then a professor of chemical engineering, attended an
conference on the subject around 1970 and the subject wasn't new then.  It
seems unlikely to me that there is a simple existing solution that hasn't
been utilized.

If you can find a copy of the book "Braille into the Next Millennium"
(perhaps thru interlibrary loan) published by the NLS in 2000 there are
several relevant articles.

The National Braille Association, which is the US professional organization
for braille transcribers, has a Tactile Graphics committee.  Their forum is
here:
http://www.nationalbraille.org/Forum/topics.aspx?ForumID=11

RNIB has a list about Tactile Graphics.  You need to join to see the
archives.