[Blindmath] Learning Calculus: Use of Matlab or other software

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Mon Aug 15 15:41:42 UTC 2011

Hello listers,

Was wondering if anyone had experience using Matlab, Mathmatica, or
other similar software as an aid to learning calculus.

Specifically, I can envision Matlab helping with at least the ability
to produce graphs or plots of equations and then possibly print them
on my Tiger embosser.

I'm lead to believe that Matlab is not particularly Jaws friendly,
but that by turning off the java and graphics display, it is quite
usable.  So I wonder if plots can be rendered and saved to a file,
like a PDF or PNG without viewing them onscreen first.

Or if perhaps Matlab is in fact reasonably accessible with Jaws in
graphics mode?

Thanks

Ben Humphreys