[Blindmath] Spoken math or braille math?

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 22 14:16:48 UTC 2011

Dasha,

You, Ben, and I seem to be miscommunicating.

>From your own perspective, not your math teacher's, do you want to read your
math in braille or do you want to hear it in Jaws?

You don't need Ben's "home-grown" solution if you know Nemeth braille. You
can simply write correct Nemeth braille math in Notepad using ASCII braille.
For example if you write x caret 2, that is x^2, for x squared, it will show
up on your refreshable braille display in translate off mode as the right
dots for Nemeth braille including dots 45 for the caret.  And .k will show
up as the right dots for the Nemeth braille equals sign.

(Remember, of course, that since you will be using translate off mode and
your teacher will be reading this directly, you will need to write any text
as print, not as contracted braille.)

Your teacher can read Nemeth visually just as easily as what Ben is
suggesting by using the hints in the article I linked to earlier. Here's the
link again:
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/readnem.htm

In fact, if Ben is correct about using Jaws dictionary definitions, why not
just teach Jaws some correct Nemeth rather than a made-up solution?

Best wishes,
Susan Jolly