[Blindmath] Question about doing math in notepad

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Wed Aug 24 13:08:59 UTC 2011

John,

This turned out to be both interesting and frustrating.

On the interesting side, the Mathtype add-in allowed me to convert my
instructor's Microsoft Equation Editor equations to Latex within
Word.  At that point, the previously incomplete and nonsensical
equations were spoken as understandable Latex by JAWS.

Now for the frustrating part.  Mathtype is riddled with installation
and reliability issues, at least for me running Windows 7 32-bit and
Microsoft Word 2010.

  For example, I got errors from Mathtype installation re: inability
to remove and install fonts.  When launched in Word, I got additional
errors regarding inability to install a toolbar in c:\programdata\...

Other times, it would crash Word all-together requiring a hard reboot.

I had to disable User Account Control to overcome these problems and
was then able to convert my instructor's equations to Latex.

However, the system then suffered from various reliability issues,
such as Skype and Internet Explorer constantly crashing and
restarting for no good reason.

After returning to a previously good System Restore Point before the
Mathtype installation, these odd problems went away.

It's not definitive proof that Mathtype is to blame.  However, I
think their dev team is a little behind the curve, not supporting IE9
with Mathreader and I suspect their installation program needs to be
upgraded to work with Windows 7's User Account Control and
non-privileged security defaults.

Even with all these shortcomings, the ability to convert previously
inaccessible Microsoft Equation Editor equations to Latex is so
compelling that I think I'll rebuild a Windows XP box with an older
version of Word and IE7.  I believe such an environment will work
better with Mathtype and probably Mathreader as well.

The fight goes on to learn math again...

Ben