[Blindmath] Making Mathtype documents in Word accessible

Andrew Stacey andrew.stacey at math.ntnu.no
Sat Dec 3 22:36:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 10:02:10PM +0000, Birkir R. Gunnarsson wrote:

> I am also hopeful that the EPUB3 support and rendering of MathML may
> cause a revolution in math accessibility, if we can harness it, it's
> just a bit too early for me to understand exactly how this works, and
> it depends how those who manufacture devices compatible with EPUB3
> implement the MathML part of the specs.
> But, that's way off topic and subject for its own discussion. I just
> wanted to point out the 4 different uses of Word with MathType, in
> hope it may clarify some things for some of you.

I just tried converting a random XHTML+MathML page to EPUB and viewing it on
my iPad and was very surprised to find that the result was readable, enough
that I'm going to try another one with a little more care.

I don't know quite how this would help with the accessibility issue, though,
unless it's simply that this would promote MathML considerably.

Andrew