[Blindmath] Making Mathtype documents in Word accessible

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Sun Dec 4 07:23:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Birkir R. Gunnarsson <
birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Neil, the instructions work well on the web page you pointd to (or did
> for me, for Ben too I assume). One thing that bothers me slightly
> about them, is that they claim that a blind user needs sighted
> assistance the first time around. That is not correct, this can easily
> be done completely independently (which is great). Indicating one
> needs a sighted colleague to help the first time just always strikes
> me as very patronizing.
> I'd suggest changing this to (if you have problems with anyof these
> steps, please consult a sighted colleague).
> This is knit picky ;) and doesn't really matter, just thought I'd
> throw it out there.

It wasn't meant to be patronizing.  I am pretty sure someone tried it with
a screen reader and found that setting one or two of the options to be
inaccessible.  That was a year or more ago, so I'm afraid that I don't
remember who tested it nor what screenreader was used.  I'm guessing you
used JAWS.  If you could try it with a different screenreader and confirm
that it is accessible with a second screenreader, I will make sure it gets
changed.

     Neil