[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Dec 5 00:58:11 UTC 2011

Hello,
OK< I follow your arguments when it relates to computer Braille, as I said I have actively chosen to use the American computer Braille when using my computer. However I do follow your arguments for dot-6 numbers as well, but let's blame the French (I have to being British) for making the mess around the zero just because they have no W.

However I am still unconvinced regarding the need for maths, I think its because the need for a one for one mapping disappears. Question, by having a number sign (like you say for grade 2) would that help in making a simpler maths code (due to maths having more symbols than computer code typically does)? A slightly different wording, is there benefit to having number sign for grade 2 and maths, grade 1 and computer code does not.

Coming back to UEB, the one thing which was done in BAUK with letters for numbers was to have certain cases where you could use lowered letters for a shorter notation (eg. 1/2 could be written as #a2, x subscript 2 could be written as x2 ), but from what I have been told UEB does not make such a use of lowered numbers and so a dot-6 scheme would not have caused an issue there.

Michael Whapples