[Blindmath] An update to SVGToSIG

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Dec 14 13:59:31 UTC 2011

Hi Mark, Amanda, and other interested parties,

Amanda was correct in her assessment of the color problem (no surprise to
me, <grin>).

The difference in the response of her program to the colors had to do with
the use of the colors and was not caused by the colors themselves.

The red color was used for the outline of the star. Apparently she converts
colored shape outlines to black outlines and embosses them, regardless of
the color.

The yellow and blue colors were used as fill colors. The blue color was
used to fill the star and the yellow color was used to fill the circle
surrounding the star. As she mentioned earlier, her program ignores all
fill colors other than black fill. Those colors were ignored and the fill
areas embossed as white.

I opened your sig file in QuickTac. The star and the circle look very good.
However, there is a problem with the text. I'm wondering if you saw that
problem in the embossed output or if this is simply a QuickTac issue.

The drawing has the following title at the top[, consisting of letters with
a black outline and red fill:

"A Star by Mark Senk"

Letters must be quite large to be legible when embossed on an embosser with
only 12 dots per inch. As Amanda mentioned in one of her earlier posts, she
forces the text to be a certain size or larger to make certain that it is
legible. The text showing in QuickTac is somewhat larger than the text in
your original SVG drawing, and this caused "enk" to be lost on the right
side of the drawing in Quicktac. That is no surprise. QuickTac is limited
to 101 dots horizontally. Increasing the size of the letters caused the
text to extend beyond that limit on the right side of the drawing.

The problem is that although the first four characters "A St" look very
good, the bottom half of every letter following the first four is missing,
except for the "y". Even the "y" has a problem. The top looks OK. The
bottom three dots (on two rows of dots) on the curly descender look OK, but
there are some missing dots in between.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the missing portion consists of
three dots in the vertical dimension. If so, this could indicate that there
is a partial row of Braille characters missing.

Hex characters appear to be in those locations in the sig file, so they may
not be being properly interpreted by QuickTac.

When displayed in Notepad, the characters that make up the text are as
shown below. Perhaps Amanda can use this information to analyze the problem
(if there really is a problem). I believe that the "I on the bottom row of
characters represents the descender on the lower-case "y".

             ;   ,32,      "2      42 71    "2   91
             LL  @5 W1"5"81 R5"241 _:;? "5"81L6  E'
            #MY' ;-B_'{Y-V  <> :B  #/S#'{Y-V,P8  8'
                              "I