[Blindmath] physics/mathematics problem; have a solution?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Dec 19 14:39:58 UTC 2011

It sounds to me as though the real question is whether the mass is all right and whether the mass has decent medical
coverage.  <smile>  It is my quite nonscientific observation that for each time we do something that perhaps painfully
stretches our limits as well as other parts of our body, there are ten times we have succeeded at doing something
others thought we couldn't do.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:14:00 -0800, David Engebretson Jr. wrote:

>Physics problem - have a solution?:

>Imagine a 68" object with a mass of 170 pounds travelling at 2.5 miles per hour (assume the mass is evenly
distributed in the object in motion). The mass drops four feet and all of the momentum and other forces are placed in a
single point on the object at 4 feet. Assume, also, that the bottom of the mass lands at the bottom of the four foot hole
at the same time the impact upon the mass is inflicted upon the mass (ignore any loss of energy due to the landing of
the mass in the bottome of the hole - the landing and the impact are ALMOST instantaneous).

>What is the amount of force that the mass absorbs at the time of impact?

>You can also assume the mass is 20" wide at the "point" of impact.

>In summary:
>The mass drops four feet travelling 2.5 mph. The impact area is 4 feet up from the bottom of the mass. The impact
point is a single line 20" wide.