[Blindmath] Determining shape coordinates when using SVGDraw01

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Fri Dec 23 20:40:23 UTC 2011

In a CAD program such as AutoCAD, there are two features that make
drawing these kinds of things much easier:

1.  One line segment or edge of an existing shape can "snap" to
another.  This is typically done by moving the mouse "close" to the
edge of a segment or shape and the "snap-to" is indicated visually
with a small pink rectangle if memory serves.

2.  In addition to drawing using pairs of x-y coordinates, polor
coordinates can be used as well.  So instead of saying something like:

Line from 0, 0 to 3, 4 you could say:
Line from 0, 0  , length 5 at a 60 degree angle

In such a system, the actual exact coordinates take a back seat yet
the length of lines and angles is very precise.  In order to
replicate the "snap-to" functionality present in a CAD program, SVG
Draw would need to allow naming of objects (which I think it already
does) and then the ability to specify a "point" on that object, such
as top, left, right, bottom, midpoint, intersection, etc

In this way, you could assemble objects using lines that connect to
the ends of other lines or edges or midpoints of other objects
without regard to their coordinates.

I suspect implementing some of this would represent a fair bit of
work, since we're talking features typically found in a CAD
program.  But the level of flexability would be improved marketdly I believe.

Ben