[Blindmath] [program-java] Announcing JWin - a program for installing the Java Access Bridge on Windows

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Dec 30 18:23:21 UTC 2011

Dick,

Your experience with Java might be very useful to those of us who are trying to influence the direction that
accessibility takes, and your comments about the limitations of SWT are interesting as they may explain why SWT has
not caught on.  My comments here are based more on experience than real Java programming knowledge so take
them with a grane of salt.

There are apparently limitations to what you can do with Java through the Windows Access Bridge which Jamal's
program installs.  I say this because many Java programs don't work through it at all.  Historically, accessibility with the
Windows Access Bridge has always been somewhat painful.  Some programs would work with specific versions of
JFW and the Access Bridge, but they would not necessarily work with the most recent version of each.  As I
understand it, a 64-bit version of the Windows Access Bridge was not available until a few months ago and the 32-bit
version would not work on 64-bit machines.  Add to this the fact that support for the Windows Access Bridge is a little
hit or miss.  Window=-Eyes, which has been my screen reader, as not supported it, at least partly because of the
general instability.  JFW supports it, but its support has not always been that solid.  At least for now, I hope that you
stick with SWT unless there are better options that universally work under Windows without the Windows Access
Bridge, or unless the situation with the Access Bridge changes.  My understanding is that Oracle is somewhat active in
the development of the Windows Access Bridge to make its products more accessible, and that could result in a
platform that is more stable and may make that route an easier one to follow.  I am not certain, but I believe that IBM
has been quite involved in the development of SWT and some of that work has been done at their Austin site.  If you
have any contacts there, perhaps you could make known your frustrations with SWT as that seems to have been the
most stable accessible solution.

Again, let me thank you for your work on these products.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson