[Blindmath] [program-java] Announcing JWin - a programfor installing the Java Access Bridge on Windows

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Dec 31 18:26:27 UTC 2011

Hello,
I hear many of the problems. I don't know all the answers, but some of them
sound fairly like they are problems which would be common for many Java
developers. For example things like the name clashes, everyone will have
these problems. Any general issues probably would be best answered by
eclipse experts, may be try the eclipse forums.

First thing I will say, possibly at the risk of others disagreeing, but if a
particular programme you use only requires students to view graphical
information, how accessible could you realistically make it anyway? What I
mean there is how accessible with the accessibility APIs. If the
accessibility APIs will not help at all for a given programme due to the
graphical nature, then do you need to port it to SWT? The best option may be
to just draw actile diagrams of the screen content for blind students (well
may be take screen shots and get it embossed with a embosser capable of
graphics if you have access to one). If the graphics on the screen develops
with time then this would be even harder to make accessible to a screen
reader so has even less reason to be ported to SWT. Also I don't know of the
accessibility status of swing embedded in SWT, it probably needs the access
bridge if it is to be accessible although I don't know whether the access
bridge works for embedded swing (it probably will as it works for applets).

While the swing integration should be a common enough problem, I decided to
do some quick looking around for you. I found this article which may help,
admittedly it is a bit old but it may help as a starter
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Swing-SWT-Integration/index.html
which may explain about the JFrame integration. Also it may be worth
commenting here, SWT can have very interesting bugs which can be JVM
specific, on Linux when using a screen reader (or anything using the
accessibility framework at-spi) exiting eclipse got to a point where the JVM
would not fully exit, well that is if you use the Sun JVM but if you used
the IBM JVM then there was no problem. Also other SWT applications did not
show the bug either. I think the new at-spi2 has solved the bug. My point
with this comment is that if you find bugs when using swing with SWT may be
other JVMs will work fine.

Now to the Java2d stuff, I will admit not really knowing much about Java2D,
however I think the following link does what you asked in another message
http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/SWT-JFace-Eclipse/UseofJava2DonSWTorDraw2Dgraphicalcontext.htm

Hope the above was useful. Also feel free to ask about how to do certain
things should there be any difficulty. Finally, if adding accessibility has
been as much work as you say, may be it would be great if you could make
notes of what is difficult, I don't know how many developers of tools would
listen but it at least would give them a chance of knowing what the problems
are. Making a course accessible shouldn't be as much work as you say,
particularly if the tools are available.

Michael Whapples