[Blindmath] JAWS and Nemeth - Newbie question

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:01:41 UTC 2011

Hello

I would be interested in off-line discussions about this for myself.
MathPlayer does not provide refreshable braille at this time, but it
does provide MathML to speech convertion. However, it does not,
currently, work with Firefox.
Have you considerred giving a paper version of the test with Nemeth
and an online version with speech (though users would have to use IE).
It is certainly not perfect, and there may be a better way, but at
least this would give users multi format math to work with.
You may want to contact Duxbury and see if they can generate .brf
Nemeth files from MathML (I am pretty sure they can, embossing with
Word and MathType equations is supposed to work very well with v11.1
of DBT).
You might be able to do this and then stick the content of the .brf
file into your web page.
There is also ongoing development with LibllouisXML, they might
provide some solutions, if not now, then in near future.
This has been a difficult issue, because this technique really
requires sending independent output to the braille display from what
is on the actual computer screen (since Nemeth often requires multiple
braille cells to display a single symbol, and also has other
indicators that print material would not require).
I will inquire and also follow this thread with interest.
I beleive we must resolve this problem going forward to make math
easier to deal with for people who depend on braille.
Thanks
-Birkir