[Blindmath] What does "support braille math in a screenreader" mean technically?

John J. Boyer john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com
Sat Feb 19 23:47:07 UTC 2011

liblouis, with either liblouisxml or liblouisutdml produces very good
Nemeth from MathML. ViewPlus is currently using it in their TSS
software, and that is what they tell me. Other math codes are not so
good, but the reason is unclear. A screenreader like NVDA could pass
MathML to liblouisutdml as a string and get back good braille math. They
are using liblouis already. That would give them one up on Jaws and
Window-eyes. It probably isn't hard to do.

There is also a guy in Belgium who is using liblouis and liblouis in
OpenOffice. It can presumably handle math.

John