[Blindmath] What does "support braille math in a screenreader" mean technically?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Feb 20 21:39:20 UTC 2011

Hello,
Susan, your first comment is something I have been thinking about for
some time, Braille translation, particularly for maths, up to now has
really not been perfected in quite a number of years of people working
at it. Therefore, is the call simply for Braille support a "dead end",
will it ever be perfected?

There probably is a place for Braille, but I am more thinking of when
using a screen reader where interaction with the computer is possible
then might there be better, more interactive ways of accessing the
maths? Also might more interactive ways of exploring the maths be a
simpler problem to solve?

While I haven't got a full idea together yet for what this more
interactive reading would be, knowing how people process equations would
be useful (any links), here are some thoughts which may help understand
what I mean.

MathPlayer, while being good in accessing the mathml, I think we can all
agree really does not use the computer to its full to give the best user
experience (some of the limitations are external to design science and
there is nothing which they can do without help from other companies).
One area where MathPlayer is weak, is easy navigation of the equation,
currently you must wade through the words of what the equation is. There
may be times where you don't need fine details of the equation but the
general form of the equation. May be parts of the equation could be
presented to the user in a more concise form (an example might be the
systm shown in the presentation "Spoken Mathematics Using Prosody:
Earcons and Spearcons" as presented at ICCHP 2010). May be certain
elements (eg. fractions) could be container objects (like voiceover on
the Mac handling tables, or NVDA's object navigation), so you can either
skip over the fraction should it be of little interest at that time but
should you need more detail then you could descend into the fraction to
look at detail.

Also by using a computer there might be a more natural way of
communicating the mathematics (speech is one example) and so it probably
will be relevant to more people, therefore it would have a higher value
to the screen reader vendors, so having a greater chance of being
implemented.

Michael Whapples