[Blindmath] wxMaxima -- an accessible, computer algebra system

Jamal Mazrui empower at smart.net
Fri Jan 7 13:48:42 UTC 2011

It seems rare these days to find sophisticated software with a graphical
user interface that is accessible, even though that was apparently not a
design goal of the project.  Thus, I want to encourage folks to check
out wxMaxima if they have an interest in using software for mathematics
work, or if they have an interest in a cross-platform development
approach that results in accessible GUIs.

wxMaxima is a free, open source "computer algebra system" available at

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

It uses wxWidgets as its GUI library, which wraps native controls of the
operating system, and hence, implements the accessible API of that
platform.  It includes the Maxima console-mode, command-line interface
as well, which is also accessible with any screen reader.

In my opinion, this project is worth spreading the word about and
showing support for!

Jamal