[Blindmath] set notation in LaTeX

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 05:12:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

Union: \cup
it is called a cup in LaTeX quite likely because it appears as "U" shaped or I suppose "cup" shaped.
Intersection: \cap
It is called cap in LaTeX again because it appears like an inverted "U" or like a cap.
subset: \subset
The cup turned to the right side.
super set: \supset
The cup turned to the left side.
proper subset: \subseteq
Notice that here the short for equal is added to indicate a proper subset.
a is in X: {a \in X}
a is not in X: {a \notin X}

Think I'm right...
I consider understanding the structure of symbols important, hence the explanation.
You might like to download the LaTeX code of this book on Abstract Algebra that has a chapter on sets.
http://abstract.ups.edu/download.html