[Blindmath] Latex again

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Wed Jul 13 20:26:24 UTC 2011

Hello all, Latex is a subject of continuing interest on this list, and there
is a new entry.  Michael Whapples has written an excellent tutorial on
converting Latex to MathML using the TX4HT application.  His step-by-step
instructions on installing Miktex for Windows and using it to call TX4HT are
so straightforward that even I could do it and made it work on my first
attempt.  He also has instructions for Mac and Linux users.  All the
applications are free by the way.

His tutorial is on the www.Access2Science.com site, direct URL
http://www.access2science.com/latex/tutorial_txht.xhtml

I have been told that this approach to converting Latex to MathML is the
broadest one available, but I am no expert on that subject.  It would be
good to hear from some of the experts on this topic about advantages of
other converters that are available today.

I was pleased to see that Birker will write up his course notes to publish
on A2S, and I encourage others on this list to contribute as well.  A2S has
a core of good information, but it needs a lot more if it is to become the
kind of rich information site that its editors envision.  In particular it
needs articles like Birkers on practical techniques.  Write me if you want
to bounce any ideas.

John Gardner