[Blindmath] Performing calculations as a blind students, tips, tricks and advice for the NFB Youth Slam

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Jul 14 15:00:07 UTC 2011

I used to use the BASIC interpreter to perform calculations in the days of DOS.  I suspect that our approaches are probably seen as old-fashioned now,
though.  Still, as someone said, there is a lot of flexibility in Excel which is sort of between programming and using a calculator.  I know that others here have
mentioned the statistical package R.  This is what I was getting at in my note, though, that there are really two different problems to solve.  How does one
write down and communicate complex equasion solutions and math proofs, and how does one actually perform calculations.  The two are different and the
tools one might use are different.  I advocated that sometimes using a braille writer and paper is not a bad alternative for solving equasions and that various
math notation systems need to be investigated if one is going to take a lot of math.  However, to perform statistical or other kinds of calculations, there are
definitely other alternatives, including the calculators on some note-takers.  This point of there being two separate problems to solve, solving equasions and
performing calculations, might be a good one and not one that will occur to all students.  I also realize that one can perform calculations using some math
notation systems as well, but learning a notation system to perform calculations only is probably not worth it given that there are other alternatives.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson