[Blindmath] Students should know their legal rights!

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 16 23:32:16 UTC 2011

Birkir,

Thanks for the great feedback; I agree with everything you've written.

As far as your upcoming contact with the NFB students, I hope that someone
at the SLAM is knowledgeable about the latest laws.  It is actually illegal
for universities and colleges in the United States to not provide accessible
materials in a student's desired medium in a timely fashion.  Moreover, if a
student produces class work in a standard format, such as braille, the
university is obligated to pay the costs of converting that format to
whatever format is required by the professor.

I can understand an individual student's reluctance to be viewed as a
troublemaker but I believe that if a few more braille-using students were
willing to actually sue their DSS offices when they don't meet their legal
oblications, a lot of the current problems with lack of materials would go
away a lot more quickly!

Susan