[Blindmath] Translating documents with MathML into Nemeth (CORRECTION)

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 18 20:59:58 UTC 2011

Birkir,

Are you saying that you prefer to use a braille display in no-translate
mode?  In other words, you just let the braille display use its computer
braille table to convert ASCII text to eight-dot braille?

This is not a standard approach but if it is what you want to do, it's fine
by me. Don't forget that different displays use different computer braille
tables.

I don't see why it wouldn't work if your braille display received a mix of
ASCII text directly from a web page and some ASCII braille that represents
Nemeth.  (Of course, if your computer braille table doesn't use lower
numbers, you are going to have  to deal with two different ways of
representing the decimal digits.)

Any problems would not be related to Nemeth math but rather to ensuring that
liblouis (or other braille translator) that supplies the braille math
translation represents the braille cells using the same computer braille
table as your braille display.  I believe that is already one of the options
in liblouis.

There aren't many differences between computer braille and North American
ASCII braille.  ASCII braille typically uses capital letters to represent
the braille letters although most six-dot embossers can use either. Computer
braille uses small letters to represent the six-dot braille letters and
capital letters to represent the computer braille capital letters with an
added dot seven.  Nemeth is a six-dot code but I believe it would work with
computer braille capital letters. I don't know whether liblouis has an
option where you can use the eight-dot capitals rather than inserting
capitalization indicators but if not, that would be a minor change.

There are five other mapping differences between computer braille and ASCII
braille which are easily addressed in an output table.

Susan

P.S.  BANA has an official Computer Braille Code which is a six-dot code and
is not the same as the computer braille tables in an eight-dot braille
display.  I'm just adding this to hopefully avoid confusion.