[Blindmath] Lead time for providing braille

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 19 18:27:57 UTC 2011

I've passed on the question about lead time to my experts.

I know the general advice given to students is to let your DS office know as
far in advance as possible what courses you are going to take. (I am aware
that course registration procedures may play a role.) I have no idea if
professors have any legal obligations other than what I wrote about textbook
choice in California. Remember I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal
advice.

It doesn't have to take months to produce braille, even braille math.  It
just takes the proper resources, i.e. money and trained people.

Years ago when the only way to produce certain needed braille materials was
via direct entry on a Perkins brailler, teams of certified volunteer
transcribers would share a Perkins so it could be used twenty-four seven.
It's ridiculous for turnaround to be slower now.

Susan